3 Apr 2016

Say this to your "BOSS" and he won't fire you!!




When Darren Trumeter was 18 years old in the military he worked as a driver. “We were on a trip for training mission 'in the field,'” he wrote. “I was driving the commander and three of the sergeants were in the back seat. The commander seems to be in a good mood says 'Trumeter, isn't it wonderful the government pays you great money and all you have to do is drive a jeep'.”
Trumeter responded: “‘Yes, but they pay you so much more and you just sit there'. The sergeants were laughing for hours.”
Tell us what you were really thinking
Standing up for yourself also paid off for internet entrepreneur, Scott Dunlap, who worked for a manager with a tendency to sell solutions ahead of his team’s capacity to actually build them.
I understands that you are holding the bar high for us, but this is crazy. In fact, you are the one crazy.
One day his first boss ordered him to make a project “happen” he wrote that he replied that the task was impossible. His boss replied: “Maybe you didn't hear me...I told you to make it happen.” Dunlap blustered: “I get that you are holding the bar high for us, but this is crazy. In fact, you are crazy. You are narcissistic, juvenile, crude, conniving, sexist, and lacking any ethical boundaries whatsoever. You are crazy! Yet somehow you consider that combination of attributes to be your leadership style.”
His boss simply replied. “You forgot ‘rich’," Dunlap wrote, and walked away to his next meeting with a smile.
Extreme truth-telling
Peter Kenneth Nduati, now CEO of East African insurer, Resolution, described describes an awkward annual retreat with senior management when he was a mid-level manager at another company.
“At one of the sessions, the CEO gave us highlight numbers that showed that we had…a loss for the third year in a row and, as usual, I didn't hear any plan or clear strategy on how to reverse the trend,” he wrote.
Nduati says he still doesn't know what made him raise his hand and interrupt the CEO and say, “A CEO who stands in front of his staff for three years with those results should be holding a resignation letter in his hand.”
The room went quiet, he wrote, and his line manager called for a tea break. The retreat was cancelled and the team went back to headquarters. Nduati wasn’t fired, but he eventually left the firm.
“I keep asking myself today how I would handle a junior employee who said the same words to me,” he wrote. “It also pushes me never to be in that situation.”
Music to my ears
It’s not just in offices that tempers flare. Professional cellist, Yvonne Caruthers, was auditioning for a position with a symphony orchestra when in the final round, the conductor asked her to play at a different pace.
“It seemed to me in my adrenaline-addled state, that his ‘new’ tempo was exactly the same as what I had just played,” she wrote “I played again, and once again, he asked for a slower tempo, which again seemed to be to be exactly the same.”
Eventually he announced that he wanted to hire me, but warned it might not work out. “I was so mad that I shot back: ‘I can't guarantee that after a couple weeks I'll want to play with you either!’ Not a very smart thing to say, that's for sure, but I was young and sometimes hot-headed.”
She joined the orchestra and the conductor called her in during the tour to say that he was very happy with her playing ....but a few weeks later she left after winning an audition for the National Symphony in Washington.
Quora respondents are required to use their true names under the site’s Real Names policy. To help ensure legitimacy and quality, Quora asks some individuals, such as doctors and lawyers, to confirm their expertise.






No comments:

Designed by Asogwu